So....today I had my IVF consult and confused is only the beginning. First, let me say that my IVF retrieval and transfer won't be until around October 20th-29th. However, hubs just got a new job and he will be in California for most of September so we had to have our consult a little early.
Apparently I must look like I shoot myself up a lot because my nurse went over the injections in like ten minutes. I have no idea what she was talking about or demonstrating. I mean for those of you that have gone through IVF, you can probably understand that the whole thing is quite daunting. I had 12 prescriptions written for me and I am sure I may be missing another one or two. I think I am going to have to go back for another consult before actually injecting myself with anything. This whole experience has disaster written all over it. I mean seriously...it took me like 30 min. to inject myself with my ovidrel shots. I can just picture myself standing in front of the mirror for hours trying to figure out how to mix what and shoot what where? Ugh...anyways....
10-3: take last birth control pill
10-6: baseline ultrasound and bloodwork
10-9: begin Gonal F and Monopur
The remaining prescriptions (not sure where they all fit in at this point): Zithromax, Crinon gel, Ovidrel, Vivelle patch, Valium, Vicodin, Ganirelix Acitate, Leuprolide, Progesterone oil, baby aspirin,
I mean is any of this really necessary except the Valium and Vicodin?! I will have some of that now please. I mean seriously they should prescribe Xanax too. I need it. I am scared shitless after this consult.
By the way...this pic was from vacay and oh how I wish I could go back in time to this very moment right now....especially after today.


hi! i just came across your blog and thought i would comment and try to give you a little piece of mind! i was so super confused at our consult about meds too. i didn't even know what they were prescribing me when we went so they were going over every kind of med! i had done a few medicated iui's though so i figured i'd figure it out when the time came. they ended up giving me totally different meds than i had had before and a paper about how to mix them and how much and everything. The thing is, you get a bunch of different needles too, so that's one of the most confusing parts! i did end up botching my first injection because a box was checked wrong, so i only diluted it with half of what i was supposed to!! and to this day, i have no clue if i used the needles right. i would just use the big ones to suck up the fluid and the little ones to stick in me! sorry this is a novel, all i'm trying to say is, i think all of us panic about this and it IS scary, but it works out. our cycle was super successful and all the medication is a thing of the past! if you need to, ask the nurse if you can come in to the clinic for your first day of injections and they will show you exactly what to do, mine was more than willing to do that even though i passed since i didn't want to drive in. :) the other thing is, you won't be using all of these medicines all at once. they all get used in different parts of your cycle. anyway, just breathe and think about it rationally and you'll be fine! i would start flipping out when i did some of my injections because i was thinking "i have to get every single drop of this medicine out or this isn't going to work!!!" and it stressed me out so bad. so i would just breathe, step back and just go through the mechanics of it without thinking about WHY i was doing it and that helped. this is so long! sorry!! good luck and everything will go great, don't worry!! :)
ReplyDeleteHi B, I just found your blog and read a few posts as well. I wanted to wish you good luck :)
ReplyDeleteI would be so confused too! Hopefully everything will work out for you. Fingers crossed.
PS. I will have my first IVF next year.
I have to change my insurance plan... my plan doesn't cover anything right now.
It's okay B - what you are feeling is completely normal. What is really scary is when you become a pro at using all of those medications :( because you've been having treatments for so long. I'm praying that this cycle is successful for you and excited to follow along your journey. :))) Good luck dear!
ReplyDelete