Yesterday we finally had our retrieval! After arriving at the clinic around 11 a.m., I was having my procedure by 12:15. The only thing I remember was my RE smiling at me asking me if I was ready. I told him that I was nervous and he grabbed my hand, squeezed it, and he held onto it until I was knocked out.
The minute I woke up the nurse told us that they got a lot. 17 eggs to be exact. I was so relieved, but I also know that there is no telling how many we will be left with after 5 days.
Once home I just rested and began chugging Gatorade. Around 7 p.m. I was having awful shooting pains...pain so bad that it was hard to breathe. I was also extremely nauseous and could not go to the restroom at all despite the fact that I had finished off four bottles of Gatorade. The nurses had warned me ahead of time that I would have to be careful because I had so many follicles (24 follicles) that were aspirated and my E2 levels were so high, therefore, I was at a high risk of OHSS. After having a mini breakdown I forced down some pretzels, drank a huge bottle of pedialyte, swallowed some pain pills, and hubs put me to bed. Seven trips to the bathroom later and with the sun rising...I was finally able to get some sleep.
I am feeling much better today. The nurse called and out of the 17 eggs, 12 fertilized, and out of those 12 eleven are left. We will get another update tomorrow regarding the quality of the embryos and whether we will be going in for a day 3 or 5 transfer. The nurse is thinking probably a day 5.
Thank you all so much for the support. I have received so many text messages, emails, and phone calls that I have been overwhelmed. It has taken this experience for me to realize who my true friends are, and I could not be happier at this moment...one day at a time. My family and husband have also been incredibly amazing...and I realize how lucky I really am despite what I have gone through thus far. Thanks again!

No comments:
Post a Comment